Do you remember the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears?
Papa bear’s porridge is too hot and his bed too hard. Mama bear’s porridge is too cold and her bed too soft. Baby bear’s porridge and baby bear’s bed are just right, so these are what she chooses to stay with. When we take this childhood story into our yoga practice we are reminded to explore different options and listen within. We choose that just right action that helps us feel great in our bodies and serves us in our lives.
Our time on the yoga mat is an invitation to feel and understand from inside. We cultivate interoception, the perception of internal sensations. We find that we develop curiosity and are able to remain mindful for longer periods. We begin to hear and heed the wisdom of the body choosing right action at any given moment.
We weave this key lesson into our explorations on and off the mat at the day retreat on August 19. We compare the body’s response to different techniques in movement so that each person can discovers her unique expression of a posture (asana). We discuss Patanjali’s sutras on asana to make ancient yoga philosophy relevant in our lives today. And we look at how biotensegrity – the new anatomy of wholeness and movement – can support our practice on all levels.
There are links below for those of you wishing to purchase books and props that were referenced and used at the retreat.*
- Yoga: Fascia, Anatomy and Movement by Joanne Avison
- Biotensegrity – The Structural Basis of Life by Graham Scarr
- Living Biotensegrity – Interplay of Tension and Compression in the Body by Danièle-Claude Martin
- Hoberman Sphere (auxetic structure, closed kinematic chains)
- Melt Method by Sue Hitzmann
- Fascia Releazer*
Poetry and Philosophy
- The Wisdom of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras: A New Translation and Guide by Ravi Ravindra
- Go In and In: Poems From the Heart of Yoga by Danna Faulds
*We are a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.